There is a great wealth of online tutorials and documentation available for artists. The main sources of documentation online are the Torque Developer Network and the GarageGames website. The documentation available on these sites can be categorized as below. Also, you will find additional tutorials and information in the docs shipped with the Torque engines.
3D Modeling and Animation
- Exporters: (direct file link)
- General Documentation:
- 3D Studio Max Documentation:
- Maya Documentation:
- Blender Documentation:
- Houdini Documentation:
- Milkshape 3D Documentation:
Official Documentation Submissions
If you would like to create simple tutorials or reference documentation, jump down to the Community Section for details. To gain greater exposure or have your work used in Official GarageGames Documentation, read through the Submission Guidelines and contact Michael Perry
Below you will find several great tutorials geared toward artists.
These will help you learn how to use the exporters for your modeling application, as well as the proprietary Torque tools. Some tutorials were written before the latest version of what you might be using, but still contain great instructions on using the editors and exporters. More tutorials are on the way!
Tutorials are grouped by modeling application in the following order: Maya, Max, Blender, Constructor
- 3D Modeling Tutorial Listing on GarageGames
- - This area of the GG site contains a list of every art related resource submitted by the community. Resources include tutorials, documentation, FAQs, and links to sites that provide free models or videos.
- TDN DTS Category
- - This section of the TDN contains several articles on DTS exporters and character creation.
- Maya Simple Shape Export- This tutorial will walk you through setting up a very simple shape in Maya and exporting it for use in Torque
- Simple Maya Character Export
- - This tutorial will show you how to export a skinned, humanoid model from Maya to Torque
- Maya2DTS Online Rutorials (by Danny Ngan)
- - Danny's online tutorials are extremely useful for new users of Torque Technology.
- 3D Studio Max Torque Simple Shape
- - This documentation explains how to use the max2dtsExporter to export a simple cube with transparency.
- 3D Studio Max Simple Character Export
- -A very basic example of creating a character, exporting it, and replacing the stock player in a Torque engine.
- Max to DIF Guide (by Byder)
- - A basic guide to creating BSP Brushes in 3DS Max and exporting them to DIF.
- Max to DTS Guide (by Byder)
- - A basic guide to creating models in 3DS Max and exporting them to DTS.
- TDN's Blender Page
- - This TDN page is dedicated to articles, tutorials, and videos on use Blender to create Torque content.
- Blender Video Tutorials (by blenderunderground.com)
- - These video tutorials focus on teaching how to use Blender.
- More Blender Video Tutorials (by "Dingo_aus")
- - This is a great collection of videos that show the full process of developing a simple shape, exporting it, and displaying it in your game.
- Blender Quick Start Guide Videos (by Damian Johnson)
- - A quick start guide for generating Torque models in Blender.
- Houdini Tutorials
- - Official tutorials that show you how to use the modeling application.
- MilkShape: Create a Simple Shape
- - TDN article which shows you how to create a simple tire shape.
- MilkShape: Create a Simple Vehicle
- - TDN article which shows you how to create a simple wheeled vehicle..
- Psyonic MilkShape Tutorials (by Psionics 3D)
- - Collection of simple and interesting tutorials showing you how to use MilkShape 3D..
- Constructor TDN Page
- - This is the TDN landing page for Constructor related articles and tutorials.
- Constructor Made Easy (by "Pickled Studios")
- - This is a great tutorial for a first time user of Constructor. You will learn the basics of Constructor by creating a simple building with an interior, exterior, and portals.
- Constructor Web Tutorials (by Josiah Reeves on The Art of Josiah Reeves)
- - These web tutorials are some of the most robust and useful you will find on the web. The tutorials range from learning the interface, to modeling a simple house, to completing a complex medieval church!
- Interior Guide Pack (by Apparatus)
- - This comprehensive guide should be one of your first Constructor resources to read through. Details on obtaining the pack for free can be found in this blog.
- Constructor Basics (video tutorial by Steve Finney of Arteria3d)
- - An extremely detailed and lengthy video which will walk you through Constructor's interface and functionality. You can also download the video here.
The community of developers and artists using Torque Technology is vibrant and active. Get involved in the community by joining the ongoing discussions in both the forums.
You can find more tutorials and add-on modules in the Resources section of the GarageGames site. Before TDN, this was the primary method of community contribution. You can simply browse through all of the Torque resources, or you can use the advanced search feature and query for specific terms.Forum Discussions
Most discussion of asset generation and related projects occurs in the forums. In the forums you will find general discussion and a lot of great "Getting Started" threads. Depending on what you are working on, as an artist you are able to jump into different public forums which fit your needs.
The private forums are reserved for users who have purchased one of the engines, and usually involve more technical discussions. If you own a Torque engine and need more technical help on getting your assets into a game, be sure to check your engine's private forums.
Below, you will find a list of forum areas which are most pertinent to artists, such as tools, exporting, etc. If you are not able to access a forum, you have likely clicked on a private thread which requires a game engine license.
- 3D Modeling -
- - A forum for discussion of general 3D Modeling issues. If you wish to get support for Torque DTS exporters, please see the Torque Art Forums.
- - A forum for discussion of general 3D Animation issues. If you wish to get support for Torque DTS/DSQ exporters, please see the Torque Art forums.
- Torque Art Public Area
- - The forums found in this area mostly consists of threads discussing tools used to export raw assets, such as a Maya or Houdini file, to a Torque format. If you are having troubles exporting your art or getting it into your game, be sure to thoroughly read the threads found here.
- TGE Public Tools Forum
- - All Torque Game Engine related tools are relevent here from the builtin mission editor to map2dif, max2dtsExporter, MilkShape, etc.
- TGE Private Tools Forum
- - The purpose of this forum is the same as the TGE Public version, except you can discuss features and code only other SDK owners have access to.
- TGEA Private Tools Forum
- - This forum has the same purpose as the TGE Private Tools forum, except the content is geared toward the code, features, and tools shipped with Torque Game Engine Advanced.
- Constructor Forums
- - Any and all discussions related to Constructor should go here: bugs, exporting, show-off work, documentation, tutorials, etc.
In the forums, can post your own questions, answer queries posted by other users, show off your work, or simply join in general discussion about features and game tech.Submitting Your Own Resources
If you are the generous type and have something cool to share with the rest of the GarageGames community, log in to the GarageGames site and navigate to the "Submit A Resource..." page. There is a section for every type of contribution. If you have written a quick-guide on using Houdini , you can post it as a Tool Reference. If you have a mini-tutorial, you can put a write-up in the How-To section. This is also the page where you can post blogs about your projects and progress.
The Torque Developer Network is mentioned constantly throughout this documentation. This site is nearly 100% community driven, meaning your peers are doing what they can to help you. There is not currently a main section dedicated to artists. However, each engine has its own artist sub-section. For example, there is a Torque For Artists section under the TGE page. On any given page or tutorial, you can click on the history button in the top right to see which community members are working on the site.Writing TDN Articles
Much like the GarageGames resources, several user maintained tutorials and articles can be found on TDN. If you want your tutorial, article, or code hosted in an organized location, you are encouraged to Submit Your Own Article. Once your article is posted, you can re-visit the page and make modifications or see how other users have contributed to your resource.